|Date||23 March 2019|
|Start time||11:00 am|
|End time||4:00 pm|
|Cost||£95 - £110|
About this training
Five Key Tools from Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) for everyday life and professional practice.
How to book
Book tickets through the Eventbrite website.
What is the workshop about?
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is the treatment of choice in the NHS for depression, anxiety, anger, PTSD, phobias and other psychological challenges. This interactive workshop will focus on 5 key techniques used by CBT practitioners which can help us all, and those we support, in our everyday life.
No previous experience of CBT, counselling or any other psychological therapy is required.
The workshop will have a strong emphasis on the practical, and delegates will leave with tools and techniques they can use in their everyday personal and professional life. A key theme will be the importance of techniques which have a proven track record of working for clients. The session will be led by Professor Patrick McGhee, FRSA, a fully accredited BABCP CBT therapist.
Who should attend?
- Members of the general public who are interested in the mind and mental health
- Non-CBT counsellors and therapists who would like to know more about the CBT approach
- Health care workers who want to secure a solid foundation in CBT models and techniques, and develop basic skills
- Anyone who is considering a course or career in therapy and would like to know more about CBT training routes
- Teachers and educators who are involved in delivering direct or indirect psychological support for children and young people
- Human resources professionals who are considering how to strengthen mental health support for employees across their organisation
- GPs and other medical practitioners who are involved in referrals to specialist therapy services
- Charities providing support for young people and adults with mental health challenges
- CBT therapists who would like a refresher in basic CBT techniques and interventions
A CPD Certificate of Attendance will be available on request.
Lunch is not provided but there is a wide range of cafes and restaurants nearby.
What will the session cover?
The Workshop will cover five specific techniques used by CBT therapists which you can use in your everyday life and with your clients straightaway. This workshop is ideal for anyone who has attended one of our introductory events and would like to go deeper into the practical side of CBT. However, no prior attendance or knowledge is necessary. The day is practical and rewarding. All of the techniques covered are backed up by extensive psychological research and clinical practice. But we believe that helping people should be fun, so be prepared to laugh.
Here are the five areas we cover:
- Mindfulness: Low Burden, High Quality. We demonstrate one of the best Mindfulness workouts for your clients and you and walk you through it. You will have the opportunity to experience this mental workout. It lasts 5 minutes 31 seconds.
- Padesky 4: Four Tasks to Win The Week. How do make the most of the week ahead? We share the practical ideas of one of the world's best CBT therapists and show you how to use them in your life and in the life of those you help.
- Strength-Based CBT: How can a focus on strengths and resilience rather than problems work for clients? This basic introduction to one of the newest additions to the CBT toolkit will help you practice a 5-step plan to coach individuals - and yourself into building from strengths, and building new strengths.
- Chair Work: Sit and Discover. Talk to someone who isn't there. Hear everything. A creative approach to helping clients get a new perspective.
- Values Work: Treating Clients as if what they care about matters. We share our distinctive approach to this area. What do we truly value? How do our values link to our actions? We will look at how we can bring all this together into an effective toolkit for ourselves, those we help and those around us.
This workshop will be interactive and will provide delegates with a wide range or practical resources to help develop their understanding of CBT-informed techniques and applications in personal and professional practice. We will introduce key topics and illustrate how different techniques work but we will not be able to cover all the techniques in comprehensive detail in a one-day workshop.
Feedback from attendees at previous similar events
"This was an excellent course. Brilliantly delivered , informative, showing expertise, flexible, relating to different learning styles... Fantastic resources gained that can be directly used with clients".